Wednesday, October 19, 2011

 

Kentucky Pt. 1 - The long drive, and a little bit of climbing.

I'm sitting on my bed in our cabins loft looking out the window as large rain drops drench the ground all around us. Cold rainy days are good because they force me to take rest days from climbing and get me to update my blog with what photos I've taken so far so I don't have a monumental task of going through hundreds of them at the end of my trip. I'm living in the Red River Gorge in Kentucky for the next month, climbing and chilling out. Here are a few of my photos from the drive out and a couple days of climbing. Enjoy:

First I stopped at Maroon Bells near Aspen Colorado. A few clouds in the sky would have made the photo even better, but at least I was able to get a good reflection.
From Kentucky Pt 1

Then I stopped at Mammoth Cave and was herded like a group of cattle along foot paths with safety railings and electric lights...
From Kentucky Pt 1

Be sure to hold on to the railing so you don't slip!
From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

A really cool room... with a giant metal staircase in the middle of it.
From Kentucky Pt 1

It was really hard to take photos with such little light.
From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

The cave was mostly a bunch of long corridors with a big flat roof on top. Not many cool cave features but there was one spot, called "Frozen Niagra," where a bunch of cool features were piled up in about a 300 foot long section.
From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

After the cave we settled into our cabin, checked out some of the Kentucky countryside,
From Kentucky Pt 1

and then went climbing! Here is Ingrid on Magnum Opus 5.12a
From Kentucky Pt 1

Me on the ridiculously fun line, Super Best Friends 5.12b
From Kentucky Pt 1

Ingrid on Magnum Opus
From Kentucky Pt 1

Dan on Bundle of Joy - 5.13a
From Kentucky Pt 1

Dan pulling hard on little holds
From Kentucky Pt 1

From Kentucky Pt 1

Ingrid sending Magnum Opus - 5.12a
From Kentucky Pt 1

Ingrid chilling in the amazing Hueco on Magnum Opus.
From Kentucky Pt 1

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?